Thursday 5 March 2009

Final reflections...

If you had asked me six months ago about my opinion on blogging, my response would have included the phrases time-wasting, and self obsessed. I used to think that blogging was only for teenagers with too much time on their hands.

Over the past few months I have learnt a lot about the use of ICT in the Primary classroom, and I believe that blogging can play an important role in schools.

In my very first post I spoke about my skepticism about writing for an unknown audience online. I didn't think I would be able to write my thoughts and opinions for anyone and everyone to read. I certainly didn't think I would enjoy it! However once I had given in to the necessity of writing these blogs, I found it quite fun. Perhaps it was the way I could define my own style of writing; or maybe the pressure of people actually being able to read my work made me think more carefully about what I was writing... Whatever it was, it has changed my mind.

I was also concerned about whether this type of activity could be used with Primary aged children. When I was on placement in Key Stage 1 I realised how limited the children's ICT ability was. However, I do not think that this should restrict the types of ICT activities used as a class. By introducing children to more interactive ways of presenting and communicating their work, teachers will inspire children to use technology in a more creative way. I think that a class blog would be a great way of involving all children in a more complex ICT activity, even though it might be beyond their individual capabilities. My next placement is with years 3 and 4, and I hope that I will be able to engage the children in ICT a bit better than I did in SBT1. I will certainly consider blogging as an option.

As well as blogging, I have seen excellent use of digital cameras in lessons and I aim to continue to do this as I know the positive impact it can have on children's engagement and enjoyment. I think that the selective use of video and interactive games work well too; in lessons or as a treat for the children.

From a teacher's perspective, ICT has enabled us to share ideas, plans and resources so that lessons can be planned more efficiently, in more depth, and using the brain power of many teachers, not just one. There are countless websites dedicated to teaching ideas, it is just a case of finding the right ones, and then finding activities that suit you and your class. I think that this is fantastic, but there is always going to be the problem of people relying completely on this kind of provision. I am sure that most of the people on this course have had the dreaded experience of technology failing them, and then being completely stuck as to what to do. This is my only criticism of ICT... It is only great when it works.

This is an important lesson to teach our pupils. Find as many ways as you possibly can to enhance your learning and to communicate it in different ways, but do not rely on it to do your work for you. Until technology becomes faultless, I think that this will always be the case.

1 comment:

The Python said...

Very useful comments.

I am glad that you found it a useful activity in the end.

Thank you for persisting with the task.